Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Reminder

The church authorized missionaries to use blogs and Facebook. I had forgotten completely about the idea of using a blog. I am not all that great of a writer, and I haven't blogged before like this in my life. Then My companion and I had an experience. It begins with our time on Facebook.
We found when we weren't teaching, we were browsing. I thought we could do something better with our time. The blog did not come to my mind then. We had met at an appointment. He had canceled. While we were on his porch, two women, who seemed to be under the influence of alcohol, approached us. One had proceeded to ask us a specific question. It was on the topic of polygamy.
In the history of the Church, God had commanded men to take care of multiple women through the institution of marriage (maybe because in those days women couldn't make a living without a husband, and their husbands were being brutally murdered.). Whatever the reason, God knows. We don't need to know. All that matters now is God commanded us to stop (maybe because men in the church stopped being murdered). Some, who didn't have a testimony of prophets and their jobs, branched off and called themselves "mormons" (FLDS). They are the ones who do this practice.
Now, back to the story. We were standing there and she brought it up. She said it was wrong and destroys loyalty. This is true. God wants us to have a loving strong family. Which is one reason why God has commanded us to practice monogamy. It was observed by a Book of Mormon prophet by the name of Jacob. We proceeded to tell her that polygamy is not God's way and shared with her the part in the Book of Mormon which talks about it.
"Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none..."(Jacob 2:27)
She then proceeded to try to tell us what we believe. We, who are a part of any belief, know what we believe. If I want to know what a Muslim believe, I am going to ask a Muslim. If I think I know something, and they clarify it. I am going to go with that clarification. The same goes for other Christian religions. Long story short we agreed on the fact marriage should be between one man and one woman, and the reasons for it. But she left saying, "Let's agree to disagree." She didn't believe we didn't practice polygamy, and we flat out told her. After that ordeal, I had the idea of a blog to help people get clarifications and better understanding from someone of that faith, rather than someone out of it. I would also hope people will apply knowledge they get from here to help them grow closer to God and Jesus Christ. I know my Redeemer lives. I know He leads THIS church through His prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment