Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Perfection pt.1 (Participation)

Many teenagers yearn for their own personal car. I was a teenager who didn't get a license, so I didn't have a car. When I had the money to buy a car, I did so. It was a 1979 Ford Thunderbird. She was a beautiful car. I named her, just like all first cars have a name. Having a car meant I needed to know a little something about them. I didn't know anything. I was educated a lot in schooling. I had common sense. I lacked the "know-how" for cars. It didn't apply to me for so long, so I didn't bother learning. Sure, I had heard of the air filter, radiator and oil pan, but it all seemed to be Greek to me. Until one day I needed my oil changed. I had no clue as to what to do.
I was blessed to have a friend to have that knowledge. I learned there was a screw I needed remove to have the oil drip out. I also learned all oil filters aren't the same. The difference was I participated. I found how it applied to me. The only way we can do that is through participating. Some situations may be more difficult to participate. One example is meetings. Meetings bore many. This cliché is known by many. The person in charge of the meeting often asks, "How can we make it not boring?" A "not-boring" meeting will have those in it get more out of it. As a missionary, I, with other missionaries, attend many meetings. Some meetings bore me (and others). While others seem to grab my attention. One such meeting occurred when a general authority, Elder Evans who is a part of the head of the missionary department, came to give training to all missionaries. That meeting was a few hours long, but to me seemed to me to be too short. What was making the difference? It was actually mentioned by him in that meeting. He said, "Participation invites the Spirit." When we participate, we are opening ourselves to grow. If everyone was hard hearted, no progress in technology would have been made. Thomas Edison tried many times to make a light bulb, and didn't succeed. He still kept working at it. He said, "I have just found over a hundred ways on how not to make a light bulb." When we participate, we are prepared for failure, and ready to learn from it. This blog is a way for me to continue to participate with you, and you can participate back. It is the only way you and I can get better. I am not perfect, and neither are you. But when we help each other, we will be better and closer to being perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Elder Moss
    Hello! does this count as participating? :)
    i like how you are utilizing this technology, and i think you are doing a fantastic job with it!
    don't stop the posts from coming as they have already helped me grow!
    Keep it up!
    Kenny Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. I am glad to see participation and hope to see more from all who read this. I hope they may help me grow also. Keep it up

      Delete