Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I'm Stretching Your Faith

In high school, the school district mandated a P.E., credit. In my sophomore year, I decided to do my best with "weight training." My thoughts were, "I could use a little bit more muscle, and I could/need to become stronger."One of those reasons was to show off, because that is what everybody wanted to do, and the other was for practicality. I wanted to use my newly built muscles to be more useful, physically. My first day I was surprised to see that we stretched first.
Then we went into the very warm weight room. Naturally, people split up into their own groups and I was left on my own. I stood in the middle of the room "admiring" the array of the machines down there. Then, to my surprise, a small "toned" older teen talked to me, and "took me under his wing." We began focusing on the biceps. We started doing curls with dumbbells and moved onto curls with a curl bar (I do hope those are the right terms).

 At first, it was easy. When he saw this he added more weight. It was more difficult and I was getting tired. This tired was a different tired. It was in my arms. To make things better, we went to the bench press. It was more difficult and I began to question my strength. There was nothing left in my arms.
Before I had this experience, I thought I was strong. I thought I could lift. So it is the same with all of us and another principle. This is the principle of faith. We may say we have faith, but when the time comes, our faith appears to depart from us, leaving a dark void I like to call fear. Since I have been laboring in the south, I have ran into many people with "faith" in Christ, Mormons and non-Mormons alike. The example I wish to share is one I have seen too many times with people who "have" faith in Christ:

*(knock, knock)
Me: Hi, I'm Elder Moss
Companion: I'm Elder (insert name here), and you are?
Person: I'm "so and so"
Me: "so and so" have you seen seen missionaries like us before?
Person:  yes...
Companion: Have you had the opportunity to talk with them before?
Person: no, I'm a Christian (as if we aren't). I believe Jesus Christ (as if we don't).
Me: We do too...
Person: *rolls eyes and chuckles*
Me: We are missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and our message is centered of Jesus Christ. I know it will increase your faith in Jesus Christ.
Person: Uh, no thanks, I have enough faith in Christ.

Of course this is a very generic and deals with a non-member. But this principle deals with all. I find it interesting that people with a faith in Christ do not trust in his teachings. We, as members, have a bold claim. The only way to find out whether or not this claim is true is to trust in the Saviors teachings found in Matthew Chapter 7. Members and Non-members fail to "ask, seek, and knock." I have seen members become "content" with what they have. Thus, when this happens nothing is given, found or opened. I would like to say that I am serving with faithful people, members and non-members, but some of the fruits have said otherwise. Just like I (and others) had to question my physical strength. I am questioning your faith. So, exercise it, and it will be stronger. President Gordon B. Hinckley stated, "Faith and love for the Lord are like the muscle of my arm. If I use them, they grow stronger. If I put them in a sling, they become weaker."

Just as I got stronger after exercising, you will get stronger after exercising your faith. So, I invite you to continue to "ask, seek, and knock." If you haven't, I invite you to repent so that you can receive the blessings of faith and knowing Christ. I invite you to try our fruits, and then to trust in the Savior's promise he gave to all of us we he said, "Ask, and and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: for everyone that asketh receiveth; he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." (Matt 7: 7-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment