Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Revealing Secrets to the "Ignorant"


As a child, I sought knowledge. I loved all kinds of facts. I actually wanted to become a vulcanologist. I was able to tell you the types of volcanoes; what each one would do if it erupted; and the different types of rocks which are formed from them. I was able to baffle anyone who asked me about volcanoes. It is incredible what a child knows. They have a brain which acts as a sponge. They absorb all kinds of knowledge which can surprise those who have a lot of knowledge already.
I want to be able to point out the past tense in all of my examples. I slowly lost all that I have gained, but the idea is the same. We can learn much from those who we think are "ignorant" or too young to know anything. Yet, I know I used to have a ton of connections of facts. I would actually learn from me if I could go back and talk to myself, but what I saw, when I was a child, is a lot of people wouldn't listen to me. I saw they didn't care about my ideas when I tried to share them. The end result was I just simply forgot them. Then comes the question: Why did people not listen to me, or take into account my opinion? The answer is quite simple. They did not want to be embarrassed by someone younger than them knowing more than they did. In other words, they were lifted in their pride. I have shared that pride is a hindrance to achieving the true Utopia (AKA Zion) in a previous post. This post is more about the things we can learn from those we, commonly, believe don't know anything, even young'ns. That includes those young in age, testimony, membership in the church, and even those young in their professions. We can all learn from those young'ns.
It is a simple thing to say, but to practice it is another story. I see people, in and out of this Church, who don't take into account my (and other "young'ns) opinions. They do to us like the ancients did to their prophets of old, even murmuring and mocking. Yet, they profess a belief in the Bible saying that God is "the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." (Hebrews 13: 8) If this be the case (and I assure you that it is) than what is revealed in the scriptures ought to happen today. In the Old Testament, we read of an instance where a child is called of God to become a future prophet. In 1 Samuel 3, we begin with reading, "And the child Samuel..." Which indicates he was a mere boy. In verse 4 it says, "the Lord called Samuel..." Naturally, his reaction ought to show the ignorance of Samuel when he was called. The age at which Samuel was called to be a prophet was 14. This is not the only case where God has utilized those who are young to bring about his purposes. When you read Job, you will find the elder "folk" are disputing amongst themselves. From Chapter 32 to 37, a young man by the name of Elihu (who recognizes that he is young) "Puts them in their place" by revealing to them how the Lord works. Then in Chapter 38, the Lord confirms what was said by the young man. Further into the Old Testament, the Lord calls Jeremiah in his youth (Jeremiah 1; see also "Lamentations of Jeremiah: Beware of Bondage"). In the New Testament, Jesus Christ states, "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes." (Matt 11: 25) In Luke's account, the words, "...even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight." are added. The Lord sees fit to bless the young with His words. Any who deny this, denies the past (and present) works of the Lord. Alma, a prophet who was on the western side of the world before the birth of Christ, testified, "little children do have words given unto them many times, which confound the wise and the learned." (Alma 32: 23)

Just as the Lord called Samuel when he was 14 in the days of old, the Lord, even Jesus Christ, called a 14 year-old to guide us in the Last Days. It is how the Lord works. I know this because I have placed my faith in the hands of God, and tried this fruit. This 14 year-old boy was known as Joseph Smith jr. He was truly called of God. He, too, testified of the truthfulness of this principle when he said, "those things which never have been revealed from the foundation of the world, but have been kept hid from the wise and prudent, shall (which implies future tense) be revealed unto babes and sucklings in this, the dispensation of the fulness of times." (parenthesis and underline added) Thus, I invite you to open your minds, soften your hearts, and humble yourselves before our Creator as you learn things from those who are young in your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment