Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Section 9 Experiences

This month's number of posts, when compared to the previous months, doesn't seem to be as "up-to-par." I assure you that it is not because of the lack of ideas to post; rather, it could be the opposite thereof. It kind of demonstrates the importance of keeping organized, physically, and mentally. I would like to think of it as my insights as being projects. All of these projects are praiseworthy and can be important to helping at least one other person. Thus, I prioritized. I pulled out all of the projects that were important, and stared them. Now, my desk (being my thoughts) is full, and disorganized.
It seems like a mess, but it brought me to some new insight (as all experiences should).
As missionaries, we meet together frequently to coordinated our efforts in meetings. We have plenty of meetings which teach us, and allow us to grow. They are often called "trainings," but depending on how the teacher teaches, it can be called "sermonizing." During this meeting, the person giving the training read a part of revelation given to the prophet, Joseph Smith.

The title heading for Section 9 of the Doctrine and Covenants is the following:
"Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet to Oliver Cowdery, at Harmony, Pennsylvania, April 1829. Oliver is admonished to be patient and is urged to be content to write, for the time being, at the dictation of the translator, rather than to attempt to translate."
The part read in the training first was verse 9:
"But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me."
It did not strike my thought until this morning. "You shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget." My thoughts seemed to be attracted to this sentence like iron to magnet. Then the thought of sharing this experience came to my mind. The verse previous describes the experience I had:
"But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right."
We, missionaries (and possibly some members), call this experience a "section nine experience." Where we have received revelation directly from heaven. Now, this is not to say that what I wanted to post previously was bad, just that now is not the right time to post those insights. This is the way the Lord works with His servants. I invite you to pay attention to your feelings as you about to do anything pertaining to the expanding of the boarder of Zion. The Lord will speak to you, and lead you. I testify in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment