Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Sunday, January 5, 2014

What Am I Looking For?

I rather enjoy posting "theological theory series" (though some of them aren't "theories" but "law"). I find that it works my grey matter, as well as my spiritual self. It helps me focus on one thing at a time when I study. This is vital to spiritual growth, and vital to receiving blessings. Jesus Christ said, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." (Matthew 7: 7-8) This promise is of eternal significance. We must seek. It is a commandment of the Lord. We must "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of [Christ]." (John 5: 39) More important than seeking, is knowing for what you are searching. For example:

There was a lad. Playing outside of his parent's house, in a large field. As he was playing, his older brother, dressed nicely for a formal dance, came outside and said frantically , "help me find it!" This young lad began searching everywhere, but he searched his mother's flower bed. He searched the garden. He searched in the yard, but couldn't find anything. He even went back into the house to search a there. His brother was late, and had to leave. The time was past.

There was one vital thing missing in that frantic search and that was the knowledge of what the lad was seeking. If he had known he was searching for a corsage, and what it looked like, the search would have ended much sooner. He noticed a flower with a ribbon on it it next to his mother's collection of flowers on the coffee table before he began playing outside. He had placed it in the basket of flowers, mistakenly thinking that it had fallen out. So it is the same for us. We need to have an object in mind of what we are seeking. It may surprise us that it is in plain sight. Thus, to answer the question purposed in the title, You are looking for Christ! Christ taught, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me..." (John 10: 27) Hence, If you know Christ, seek for Him in ALL things. Seek Him as you try our fruits, as well as others'

No comments:

Post a Comment