Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Our Divine History

One of the unique doctrines within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints answers a great question, even a question of the soul, "Where did I come from?" or (to be grammatically correct) "From whence did I come?" There have been few systems of belief that teach that man has existed previous to his current mortal life. Before I was a Latter-day Saint, I looked into these beliefs. I felt I had to have lived before I was born, but I couldn't remember it. God has answered my question and has shared with us our story through His holy prophets of what we have done before we were here on this earth in mortality. This is the story of our lives before we were placed here:
The Lord revealed to Paul that we are His children. "For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is... graven by art and man’s device." (Acts 17: 28-29) The Lord revealed that as His children, "[We were] also in the beginning with [Him]." (D&C 93: 29) We knew Him, and He knows us. He said to the prophet Jeremiah, "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." (Jeremiah 1: 5) The Prophet Abraham had the privilege of having a vision of these the great spirits before world was created. Abraham wrote "the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the intelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of the noble and great ones; and God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers; for he stood among those that were spirits, and he saw that they were good; and he said unto me: Abraham, thou art one of them; thou wast chosen before thou wast born." (Abraham 3: 22-23) Also, among these noble and great ones was the Son of the Morning. Yes, even Lucifer Himself. This truth was revealed, also, to Moses who said, "Satan... is the same which was from the beginning, and he came before [God], saying—Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost, and surely I will do it; wherefore give me thine honor... my Beloved Son, which was my Beloved and Chosen from the beginning, said unto me—Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever. Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man..." (Moses 4: 1-3) Abraham recorded, "And the Lord said: Whom shall I send? And one answered like unto the Son of Man: Here am I, send me. And another answered and said: Here am I, send me. And the Lord said: I will send the first. And the second was angry, and kept not his first estate; and, at that day, many followed after him." (Abraham 3: 27-28) John The Beloved, one of Christ's original twelve Apostles, wrote the scene which afterward ensued. "there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth... There was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." (Revelation 12: 3-4, 7-9) Isaiah recorded a lamentation for this loss, "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High...'" (Isaiah 14: 12-14; inner quotations added; see also 2 Nephi 24: 12-14) This was a sorrowful time. One Third of our spiritual brothers and sisters refused the gift of agency. They gave it to Lucifer. We, on the other hand, kept it and fought for the Savior. John records, " I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..." (Revelation 12: 10-11) This is why "the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy." (Job 38: 7) We had chosen Jesus Christ. This is only the beginning. It my have ended happily for us, but what I have just shared with you is only the first act in THE three act play, known as "Our Plan of Happiness." There have been many plots and subplots which have occurred, are occurring, and will occur. But we may learn something from each. Here we learn Lucifer, now called Satan or the Devil, was cast our by CHRIST'S power and OUR testimonies. The same can be done here on earth in mortality. We have to rely on Christ with all that we do. Then shall Satan have less and less influence in our lives. My invitation echoes that of the last prophet to write in the Book of Mormon I, "exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost." (Moroni 10: 4) Come unto Christ. Kneel in humble prayer and He will answer "by the power of the Holy Ghost" that you "may know the truth of all things." (Moroni 10: 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment