Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Friday, April 25, 2014

Our Witnesses

I share what I write on this blog with my friends on Facebook. The main reason is to give them the opportunity to get to know me better. It has been helpful as I move from area to area. I have received many compliments about my blog. One such instance arose shortly after I arrived in a new area. A member walked up to me and said, "I read your blog a few days ago. It is really nice. It seems very scholarly." (Anyone who knows me, knows I have three things I love to have complimented: my intelligence, my voice, and my hair. Now, I know my hair is great. I just like to hear other people acknowledge/notice it. The same goes for my voice. That is why I love the sound of it. But, I know I am not the most intelligent person in the world. So, when I get a compliment on my brain, it can be only because of two reasons. The first, and least likely of the two, is simply they want to flatter me {and it usually works}. The second is because they legitimately mean it {which flatters me too}.) So, naturally I turn and blush by this member's statement. (Okay, that may be an over-exagerration, but I feel accomplished.) This, however, made me understand something. I was in school once. "Scholarly things" are, more often than not, really boring to read. The only remedy I can see is getting the sound of my voice to read it to you, but I currently do not have the time to implement that solution. But until you can hear my voice (and see my hair) I want to expound further and clarify why my blog seems "scholarly".

The prophet Isaiah asked, "to whom shall [the Lord] teach knowledge? And whom shall [the Lord] make to understand doctrine?" With math, I learned by looking at objects and being taught the associating concept of the number with them. The teacher held up, several objects (usually fingers), and said, "this is three (or whatever number correlated with the amount of objects)." With accepting that truth, I was able to build upon that idea, and add and subtract those objects. Then, I progressed to the point where I didn't need objects to help me out. Some, not me yet, get to the point where they can do massive equations in their minds. This is how the Lord, also, teaches us. The Lord answered Isaiah's question by saying, "Them that are weaned from the milk... For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little." (Isaiah 28: 9-10) So, the simple answer to the question, "why does my blog seem so scholarly?" Can be answered by what Paul wrote to the church of Corinth, "I... could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able." (1 Corinthians 3: 1-2) I write and expound upon the knowledge people already know. Despite my trying to break down the vast concepts, some, still, aren't able to digest what I have served. I will admit, a few posts have extra fine chopped spiritual meat. Nevertheless, I do my best to present evidence already accepted as truth. As I have done so, I noticed there are two categories evidence can fall under: concrete and abstract; both of which are important, and I try to present. When I look back to my history it is important to keep in mind "preceding the concrete evidence, is the capacity to understand abstract evidence." For example, If we look back to my days as an early "mathematician", the concrete evidence were the objects placed before me. Now, I use abstract evidence, the idea of numbers, to prove twelve squared is equal to one hundred and forty-four. If we have a tangible object with no understanding of what it means or not having the capacity to do so, than it is pointless to present.

In the early pages of the Book of Mormon, we are introduced to the family of Lehi. His youngest son is Nephi. Lehi sees, in vision, the future destruction of Jerusalem by Babylon, and is commanded of the Lord to leave. Nephi asks the Lord, independent of Lehi, if what his father told him was true. The Lord revealed to him it was true with immeasurable evidence. This made it possible for him to see and understand the physical evidence from God occurring around him. We can contrast that to the situation with Nephi's oldest brother's. They saw and heard physical evidences (angels, miracles, and a small physical electrocution) of the divine callings of both their father, and of their younger brother, and continued to reject their counsel. The spiritual manifestations confirming the truth of what Lehi and Nephi said wasn't in their hearts. Thus, they did not believe. This situation is not unique to the Book of Mormon, but is evident throughout all of the scriptures. An Old Testament example would be the children of Israel abandoning their God for a golden calf after being lead by Moses across the Red Sea on dry ground. A New Testament example is the Pharisees and Sadducees rejecting the Son of God, and His disciples after hearing and seeing such marvelous magnificent miracles. Therefore, I would venture to say metaphysical, spiritual evidence is far more convincing and far more important, than measurable evidence.

As Paul wrote, "the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:14) I may speak unto you carnally, but I expect you to discern, not with your carnal eyes, but with those spiritual. That is the reason I leave you with invitations to act at the end of most posts, and to provide you with evidence spiritual. I want to help you seek the Spiritual path. The Prophet Joseph Smith said, "We don't ask any people to throw away any good they have got; we only ask them to come and get more." With the evidence I have received, I know, logically, the Book of Mormon is the true account of my ancestors. I know, logically, This is the true church. But First and foremost, I learned, spiritually, the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. Spiritually, I know the Lord would not abandon us with man's interpretation of His word. Spiritually, I know God has a prophet. Spiritually, I know Christ lives, and is the head of this, His True and Only Church.

2 comments:

  1. DENYING THE WORDS OF GOD THE FATHER!

    When men deny the truth found in the Scriptures; they are denying the words of God the Father. When men deny the truth spoken by Jesus; they are denying the words of God the Father. When men deny the doctrine of the apostles; they are denying the words of God the Father.

    All Scripture is the word of God the Father.

    2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,(NKJV)

    All that Jesus spoke was from God the Father.

    John 12:49-50 "For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak. 50 "And I know that His command is everlasting life. Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak."(NKJV)

    All of the apostles doctrine was from God the Father. Why was that? Because Jesus taught the apostles and all of the words of Jesus were from God the Father.

    John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.(NKJV)

    John 16:13-14 "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 "He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.

    All the teaching from the Holy Spirit came from Jesus and all the words of Jesus came from God the Father.

    There are no Scriptures that declare that church creed books, (catechisms) or any other extra-Biblical writings are that of God the Father. Remember; all Scripture is inspired by God. Creed books are not Scripture. No extra-Biblical writing is Scripture.

    HOW DO MEN DENY THE WORDS OF GOD THE FATHER?

    1. When men claim there is more than one God; they are denying the words of God the Father.

    Ephesians 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.(NKJV)

    2. When men declare that Jesus did not say water baptism precedes salvation; they are denying the words of God the Father.

    Mark 16:16 "He who believes and is baptized will be saved...(NKJV)

    3. When men say that Christians cannot fall from grace; they denying the words of God the Father.

    Galatians 5:4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.(NKJV)

    All Scripture is inspired by God the Father.

    YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Lord. I believe we need more people in the world who share their beliefs. I cannot describe how glad I am you have commented on this post. I completely agree with you and your position of the Spirit. I have made a few posts on that subject myself. I know, even as you, that baptism is necessary for us to return to the presence of the Father. I have been introduced to some of these other concerns myself, and I have posted on them. I invite you to look at my page "The Doctrine of Christ." I will also extend an invitation to for you to read this post:

      http://lds-native-american.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-spiritual-third-law-pt-1-rejection.html

      There are important links in that post, which will lead you to find additional answers. Thank you, and I hope to hear from you again.

      Delete