Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Monday, November 10, 2014

Mission Tour Talk (short)

"February 19, approaches." I thought to myself, "you might need to find out what you're getting yourself into." Earlier I was asked by my aunt, "did you tell them 'yes' just so they would stop bothering you?" Despite her rhetorical tone, I answered to myself, "yes, but now I am committed." The two words which came to mind were, "only if..." I remember telling him, "Only if it's true." I needed to know what I was getting into. So, that day I committed myself to find out that night. I went up to my room, shut the door and locked it behind me to try to minimize all outside influence. I had read before, but never prayed before I did so. I knelt down, and awkwardly, gave a short, quiet, verbal prayer. I whispered, "Heavenly Father, umm, is this true? ahh... In the name of... Jesus Christ—I guess— Amen." Then, I opened where I had left off, and continued to read. As I read, truths I held dear to my heart began to be expounded, lined up, and explained within my thoughts. It wasn't the words which I read, but the Spirit present. He brought to my remembrance my past experiences, concerning my family and my relationship with them. As a result, I felt the void in my heart I didn't know was there, but to which I was accustomed, become filled. I knew it was the love of Christ, and I couldn't deny Him any more. (see also My Foundation) The prophet Alma taught, "if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words." (Alma 32: 27) If ye can no more than desire to believe, exercise a particle of faith, even to an experiment upon God's promises. Brothers and Sisters, The Lord keeps ALL his promises, despite our ignorance. (105 of Preach My Gospel) Do you want to know, learn, and grow? As we ask ourselves those questions regularly the Lord will bless us with knowledge from on High. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. Joseph Smith is the prophet of the Restoration. I know we are guided by a prophet of God today. Most importantly, however, I know by the divine influence of the Holy Ghost that Jesus Christ is my Savior, and I leave this with you in His name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment