Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Monday, March 2, 2015

Mormonism 101 (Meet the Mormons)

While my companion and I were out finding people to teach, we met a variety of people. One of which occurred during my time in South Carolina. We had drawn a piece of art on the sidewalk. As people walked past, we asked if we could teach them about what was drawn. We got answers from "I don't have time..." (And seeing them walk by two or three more times) to "sure, tell me about it." When we asked one man, he exclaimed, "I don't believe in false religions!" As un-christ-like as some of these responses were we still had the hope of finding someone who desire to be more like Christ. There was one woman who stopped us. We asked her, "do you like our artwork?" She responded, "I was looking at it earlier. I don't know what it means." Seeing as she lacked the understanding we offered to show her what it meant. "We would be happy to show you," we insisted. To our offer, she said, "I am a born-again Christian, and I know in who I have trusted. I know God's plan of salvation for me. I know it isn't anything I have done to save me..." She proceeded to get into a rant about who we are, and that we are saved by grace, not by works. In an attempt to shorten the tangent, I quoted a few scriptures. I testified to her that what she said is true. Works don't get us into heaven. We rely on Jesus, and his merits. Seeing that we had both agreed to her statement she said, "I know the two religions to stay away from because they are cults are 1.) Mormons and 2.) Jehovah's Witnesses " Naturally, anyone who does their best to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ would be offended said statement. "Why those two?" I asked her. To this she didn't give any clear answer. We then proceeded to try to get the conversation to end, while she continued to "tempt" us to deny the word of God, and deny the divinity of His Latter-day work, preparatory to His second  earthly ministry.


"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you know nothing about." -- Wayne Dyer
Because there are still people who are ignorant to The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints (AKA The "Mormons") the church has endorsed a documentary movie introducing those ignorant to our beliefs in Jesus Christ to who we really are, and Who we try to emulate. I invite all who don't know us to "Meet the Mormons."





No comments:

Post a Comment