Ask, Seek, Knock

Translate

Insight Archive

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

A Letter for Wisdom

Now, for those of you who read "Dear Sophia,", and thought, "Aww, how sweet and romantic, he wrote to his girlfriend on his blog." I hate to burst your bubble, but I, currently don't have a girlfriend. That doesn't mean a future girlfriend won't appreciate this letter. I may use it to sweep her off her feet... maybe. However, I tend to be more of a slow and cautious individual when it comes to matters of the heart, which seems to push quite a few women away... Uh, Now why did I tell you that? It isn't important... This letter was inspired by multiple sources including Philosophy, the scriptures, and (yes,) my dating life.

The inspiration for this letter came when I saw a video on YouTube done by The School of Life titled, "What is Philosophy for?" It began with a breakdown of the word. "Philosophy" consists of two Greek words (which isn't that surprising considering the widespread practice of it really began in Greece). First is "Philo" which means love. Second is "Sophia" which means wisdom. The word "Philosophy" literally means love of wisdom. Now, we should all seek wisdom. But the individual who exemplified a true of love of wisdom was Solomon. Here are a few examples he told his son,
"So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine ear to understanding; yea, if you criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; if thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous... Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path. When wisdom entereth into thine ear, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee..." (Proverbs 2: 2-7, 9-11)
"Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her. Length of day is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her. The Lord by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens. By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew." (Proverbs 3: 13-20)
"Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her. She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee... Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life." (Proverbs 4: 5- 10, 13)
Now because of the scriptural inspiration, I found it appropriate to give the letter a structure found in the scriptures, I have used Hebraic rules of poetry found in the Old Testament, a little in the New Testament, and EVERYWHERE in the Book of Mormon. Now, because I am not ignorant to modern rules of poetry, I used some modern elements also. For those who seek these rules, they will be able to find the idea around which the letter revolves. Also, each paragraph has a central idea. Now, I know the rules have not been used perfectly. This was done to be an example of who I am, especially as I describe myself at the beginning of the letter. Another interesting fact I hope to point out is the definition of Sophia in the modern language. I invite you to google "define Sophia" and see what definitions are out there, and be aware I knew about them. I dare not reveal too much, because I want the reader to get what they will out of it.

As for the story behind the equation, it began on my mission. One of my companions was sent an equation. I decided to look at it, and blow it out of the water by making it long and ridiculous, so that only the determined will figure it out. My name for it is the "Simplification Infatuation Equation." I have tried to look for an excuse to put it on my blog, and I thought this was as a good time as any. So, there was no deeper inspiration. That was all me. So now, you've read some of the explanations, I invite you to try to figure the rest out yourself. If you seek it, you shall find it.

As I wrote this letter, I continued to receive more insight. When a teacher requires an essay and gives the students the freedom to choose the type and topic, most students rejoice. I, However, found it more difficult. I feel like I am writing, in the dark. I don't know what the teacher wants, so I guess. These have often been the sources of the worst grades I have had on essays. When the teacher gave specifics, I found those rules to be lights on my path. As a result, I would have some of the best essays in the class. Many of which have been used as demonstrations to other students for what the teacher was looking. Now, the main purpose of this story is to not brag about myself. But to point out the importance of the rules of writing. As I wrote this letter, I decided the rules which I would follow, the message I would conceal, and the central idea. As I remained committed to these rules, I found writing had to become more creative and purposeful. I would venture to say it was a necessity for my mind to become free. This is congruent to the rules which we must follow in life. As we remain true to these rules, or commandments, they will light our path, and liberate us. Our Father desires us to be as free as we can be, which is beyond our comprehension. Therefore, he gives us commandments. We should rejoice for the rules given to us. This is the ultimate source of happiness, and freedom. Rules are there to restrict us, or make life boring; quite the contrary. Rules have created wonderful liberations and strides in our progress. I testify of God's love for us in his giving us commandments, and my invitation to you is to do "a Check-up from the Neck, up" (as my mission president would say) see where you can improve in living these rules, and ask for strength to do so. I promise the power of the Atonement will aid you in the name of Jesus Chrsit, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment